[Server-devel] Creating a spin - any mechanisms around $product-release, $product-release-notes, $product-logos packages...?

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 05:42:55 EDT 2008

I'm finishing off the F9 port of the OLPC School Server, and as part
of that I'm preparing xs-release, xs-release-notes and xs-logos
packages.

As far as I can see, these are pulled because they provide
system-release and system-logos. fedora-release-notes is pulled in by
fedora-release, and perhaps by something depending on indexhtml
(httpd?).

My key question is: will anything in the Fedora machinery (anaconda,
rpm, yum) be looking for a magic "product" name, and then try to use
it to request $product-release?

(I ask to be safe - recently got very confused by anaconda not
upgrading Fedora-based spins due to mismatching 'product' between
.discinfo and /etc/redhat-release . Knowing these special rules is
important ;-) and I have not found yet any document laying out the
subtle traps awaiting anyone doing a Fedora derivative as I am
doing...)

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com