[Server-devel] Notes on replacing bridging with bonding

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 05:16:37 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 7:43 PM, Alexander Dupuy <alex.dupuy at mac.com> wrote:
> I have placed TYPE=Bonding in the ifcfg-bond0 config files, but this is not
> needed for Fedora 7 or later (it doesn't hurt to have it, though)

well, I grepped network-functions and ifup-eth and none of the TYPE
checks are for bonding anything. The check is done against the output
of modprobe. So if it's going to be ignored, I'll save the
corresponding bytes (and potential confusion later).

>> # cat /etc/modprobe.d/xs-bonding
>> alias bond0 bonding
>>

> A modprobe.d/ directory - that's a nice trick!  I wasn't aware of this, so
> just added some lines to the /etc/modprobe.conf file:

that's what the most modern doco could find suggested. And the
ifup-eth src is clearly looking at the output of modprobe, so there's
something to it...

> everything you have looks perfectly
> reasonable.

thanks for sanity checking. One thing I have not been able to _test_
is that I want one of the bonding devices to have 2 IP addresses,so
I've setup lanbond0 and lanbond0:1 - with eth1 as a slave to lanbond0.

lanbond0:1 comes up automatically with lanbond0 . I am not 100%
certain that eth1 - if / when it comes up - will get the 2 addresses.

cheers,

martin
 martin.langhoff at gmail.com