[Server-devel] offline moodle

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Thu Sep 4 01:25:19 EDT 2008

Hi,

Currently I am working with a development lash-up which I hope will
allow me to get the basic offline moodle capability running (or, at
least quickly expose the speed bumps).

I envision adding an 'offline' block to the moodle course. This block
would give a menu of course chunks (e.g. topics), which could be taken
offline. The student would go to this block, check the topics (chunks)
needed, and Gears would cache them for offline access. When the student
has access to the server again, he/she could use the block to go online.
At that time, the cache would be erased and the work done offline would
be posted to moodle.

I think the course creator/teacher will need to be involved in defining
the 'chunks' and in defining the 'manifest': list of pages and other
resources needed to be cached for those chunks. This manifest (similar
to the one required for building an xo package) could include external
(to Moodle) resources as well since the caching includes a
javascript-php script connection. In fact, I think it may be useful to
be able to store some resources (e.g. wiki pages, glossaries, ...) more
persistently than course specific content (lesson pages, quizzes, ...).

Tony