[Server-devel] xs-activation: why no IPv6 yet?

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Wed Sep 3 16:05:30 EDT 2008

IPv6 was supported in earlier builds.

It was taken out last December, as there was no clear way to
support IPv6 when multiple school servers are providing
network access through the school mesh.[1]

As we don't support multiple school servers with a school mesh
(and probably will never), this can be restored.

wad

[1] The reason is that the mesh firmware supports a level 2
anycast MAC address.   Only one of the responding DHCP
servers is listened to for an address assignment.   IPv6 RADVD
includes unsolicited route advertisements, which would be
picked up by all laptops in a school, causing them to be very
confused about which gateway they should be using (in IPv4
the firmware selects the DHCP response from the "closest" gateway.)