[Server-devel] new package: xs-activation

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Wed Sep 3 11:43:38 EDT 2008

On Sep 3, 2008, at 8:07 AM, Greg Smith wrote:

> Hi Douglas,
>
> Thanks a lot for the write up. Just scanning through the recent
> activity
> on this list I see that you have been making an impressive impact
> since
> you started! It's making a big difference, keep it up.
ditto!

> Can you put this feature on the roadmap:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Roadmap
>
> link to it or put it wherever it belongs in terms of the target
> release
> with this functionality.
>
> Can you explain the user experience on the XO for this feature?
> That is,
> user (or someone prepping XOs before distribution to the field?) opens
> XO and turns it on. Is that all they have to do or do they need to
> click
> the "register" menu option?

Activation != Registration

> How do they know when the registration is successful from the XO side?

If activation is successful, the laptop boots.
If not, it will show the "Needs activation" message.

> Who is the lead customer for this feature? I can help socialize it and
> see who is interested if you don't have a first target customer yet. I
> think it will be useful but I want to figure out who we should run the
> design by for verification.

Interesting question.   I've heard lots of requests for this, but
all trials use pre-activated laptops.   Uruguay activates laptops as
part of the software installation process, as does Peru.