[Server-devel] 8.2 and updating

David Leeming leeming at pipolfastaem.gov.sb
Fri Oct 31 02:30:23 EDT 2008

We are all getting used to the new slick version 8.2

Please could I have advice on updating via the server. Some of our
deployment sites have Internet, some don't, but most will have servers. I
apologise if some of the answers to my questions are on the wiki, we looked
but might have missed them.

(a)    Will the XS support update service, caching updates so that they are
only downloaded once?

(b)   With version 0.4, is it possible to load the new updates (OS and
activities) on the server so that the laptops can update to 8.2 from the
server automatically or with prompting? (i.e. if there is no Internet or
Internet is too slow)

(c)    Will updates from 8.2.0 onwards be supported by the server?

We are still having to go through all several hundred laptops in a trial
site with a set of flash drives to update them to 8.2. We have to also
update all the activities, as even in places where there is Internet, it is
too expensive and time consuming (slow access) to use the automatic update
facility on each laptop. (or tell me, if we try this using server version
0.4, maybe it is already be caching these updates? No?)

 We are missing the ability to download a bundle of activities. Now, we have
to individually download each latest version of an activity separately into
the "bundles" folder. This is only a minor inconvenience but each site has
to do this without error.

Looking forwards to some news of how the XS will handle all of this!

David Leeming

OLPC Coordinator, Secretariat of the Pacific Community (SPC) www.spc.int