[Server-devel] DanGuardian and XS Plans

Anna aschoolf at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 14:53:52 EDT 2008

I haven't been keeping up with this list as well as I should have, but I
just noticed some discussion regarding internet filtering in Birmingham.

At our XS testbed school, Glen Iris, when I set up the 0.4 box, I edited
/etc/named.conf and /etc/named.conf.in to use the OpenDNS IPs.  SInce the
DSL connection there has a static IP, it was really easy to set up on the
OpenDNS site.  It is CIPA compliant and a lot of other schools and libraries
use it, we figure we're safe as far as internet filtering goes.

Per the administrators' request, I set the filter on "high" which means it
blocks "timewasters" - pretty much everything fun like myspace and even
gmail.  I haven't gotten any requests to whitelist anything yet.  As far as
when the XOs are away from the school, I installed the Foxfilter plugin for
FF3, which is the best I could think of.  It's certainly not perfect, but
it's better than nothing.  Part of the parent's "contract" is to monitor
their children's internet usage, anyway.

So, unless there's a better option, we're going to plan on using OpenDNS on
the XS's here.

Anna Schoolfield
Birmingham