[Server-devel] pam-sotp rpm package

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Oct 24 14:24:25 EDT 2008

Douglas Bagnall wrote:
> hi Rahul, server-devel,
>
> I've made a new pam_sotp RPM, which differs only in that it is
> compiled with CFLAGS="-fno-stack-protector".  I made this change
> because the original was causing errors like this:
>
> PAM unable to dlopen(/lib/security/pam_sotp.so): \
>   /lib/security/pam_sotp.so: undefined symbol: __stack_chk_fail_local
>
> It makes me nervous to be turning off stack smashing checks on pam
> modules, notwithstanding that this error seems to be caused by gcc
> incompatibilities (-fstack-protector is newish) rather than any actual
> deficiency.
>
> Does anyone have a better patch or understanding of the cause?  In
> similar looking cases Google suggests linking using gcc rather than
> ld, but my rpm-fu is too weak to cause that.

I suggest posting to fedora-devel list and asking for help. Turning off
security features makes you worry and quite rightfully so and it is not
allowed by the Fedora packaging guidelines anyway. I offered to be a
package monkey only to help OLPC and have no particular insight into the
code to help you further.

Rahul