[Server-devel] Getting closer: XS-0.5-dev5 "preview"

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 21:46:51 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 2:35 PM, Jerry Vonau <jvonau at shaw.ca> wrote:
> Well there are 2 issues here, that one above and the root cause of having
> named, dhcpd, etc.. fail on firstboot is that olpc-network-config was used
> to call domain_config and network_config to enable the auto-configuration,
> what in use now? Or did I miss something?

I just half-diagnosed and worked-around a very strange heisenbug
affecting the dhcpd sub-script of domain_config:
http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=projects/xs-config;a=commitdiff;h=f6d184fc829d1ba1b9ec31bf340ad0d895d3c803

I think the above explains at least _part_ of your problems.

During initial install, network_config _is_ called and defaults to
role 1, same with domain_config, defaulting to random.xs.laptop.org .
See in %post of xs-config:

## Prepare config files
pushd /etc
# these don't need network settings
make -B -f xs-config.make earlyset
# seed low-level network conf and domain
/etc/sysconfig/olpc-scripts/network_config
/etc/sysconfig/olpc-scripts/domain_config
make -B -f xs-config.make networkset
popd

the block is reexec'd on every upgrade. The relevant scripts are smart
enough to update any additional settings they need based on the seed
settings (role and domain name).

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com