[Server-devel] Getting closer: XS-0.5-dev5 "preview"

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Tue Oct 14 19:35:31 EDT 2008

Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 1:59 PM, Martin Langhoff
> <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Grab it and take it for a spin
>> http://xs-dev.laptop.org/xs/other/OLPCXS-0.5-dev5-i386.iso
>
> http://xs-dev.laptop.org/xs/other/OLPCXS-0.5-dev6-i386.iso
>
> is now slowly being copied to the server. SHA1:
> 1872d30cb68d1c1b215bf1b7169bb9bc9df4aa3f
>
> Fixes the mistmatched distro name, avoids yum-priorities and still
> adds the right ejabberd (before the final release I do have to rename
> the ejabberd rpm though).
>
> cheers,

The automated kickstart install pauses at the method screen for input.
This could be avoided by adding method=cdrom:/dev/sr0 to the boot prompt
  for the kickstart install. Should the cdrom device differ from sr0,
that would be a quick "hit tab and edit" before you boot the install.
The other alternative is to add the "cdrom" to the kickstart file.

All the ifcfg-mshbond[012] files use the same CHANNEL=1, that should be
1,6,11 no?

If you use AAs, don't plug them in until after the first boot, or udev
might be a bit confused and may not write the correct udev rules on a
fresh install. The bonding interface setup used should just add an AA to
the first available mshbond device when plugged in later.

What is failing, for me anyway, is if 2 AA are plugged in during a
reboot, the initscripts fail to load the firmware for the second one:

Oct 14 15:53:50 schoolserver kernel: firmware: requesting usb8388.bin
Oct 14 15:53:50 schoolserver kernel: usb8xxx: request_firmware() failed
with 0xfffffffe
Oct 14 15:53:50 schoolserver kernel: usb8xxx: firmware usb8388.bin not found
Oct 14 15:53:50 schoolserver kernel: usb8xxx: probe of 1-1:1.0 failed
with error -12

While a re-plug of the downed AA brings it back online, could be caused
by a slow usb bus though, because if I boot with "modprobedebug" both AA
are found. I'll guess with the delay caused by modprobedebug, the boot
process slows down enough to load the firmware correctly. Not sure if
this is just my hardware, if others see this also, or where to look at
this moment.

Jerry