[Server-devel] XS testing (Tony Anderson)

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 13:17:17 EDT 2008

Hi Tony,

I don't fully understand all the vagaries of access to root, but I do
want to warn you about having any open ports or users with password
authentication only.

Be really careful about dictionary style attacks. I have seen an XS
broken in to via dictionary attack, even when the password was extremely
secure (e.g. caps and on-caps, special characters and long password).

If there's anything not protected by SSH, use denyhosts to prevent rapid
fire guessing of your password. http://denyhosts.sourceforge.net/

You may want that tool on your server anyway.

ClamAV is also handy, especially if you have Web, PHP, SQL ports visible
on the Internet. Even slightly out of date versions of those tools can
be subject to buffer overflow attacks and other ways to add unwanted
code to you box. ClamAV may help scrub them off before they do damage.

Just FYI. Sounds like OTP and/or your strategy already cover the main
points.

Thanks,

Greg S