[Server-devel] Server-devel Digest, Vol 18, Issue 6

Bryan Berry bryan.berry at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 23:42:29 EDT 2008

Martin Langhoff wrote:
> Been ruminating on this a bit. The more I think about it, the more
> clear it is that DG on the XS is not a good long term solution.

DG may not be a good long term solution, but the pilots need it asap and
it still isn't part of the default install. Greg is right that the XS is
already a production project but it lacks one of the key features that
all the pilots need -- basic content filtering. The deployments that
need it most are those w/ the least technical skills and least likely to
complain on this mailing list.

> So it's a task better pushed to a proxy/filter "upstream" at the ISP
> network -- for any large deployment, we should start advising the
> local team to arrange with the ISP(s?) involved the co-location of 1
> server. This server gives us an opportunity to perform
>
>  - filtering at one central place
>    = better scale up / scale out economies (making bayesian costs more
> reasonable)
>    = larger "scoring" pool, so good/bad content gets flagged faster
> and for everyone

I am not a fan of a centralized solution.

1) It sounds a way off and we need a working solution asap.
2) In Nepal we will work w/ a variety of regional ISP's to provide
bandwidth to schools. I expect many, many other countries will do the
same. I will trust the regional ISP's to provide bandwidth, but not
content filtering as well.

--
Bryan W. Berry
Technology Director