[Server-devel] What's cooking in the XS pot this week (2008-10--01)

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 11:20:17 EDT 2008

Hi Martin,

A little more info. Birmingham just updated to XS 0.4. I think its in
their lab right now but my impression is they can put it in production
in a school at any time.

The only key feature that I am aware of for them is the scalable eJabber
server. If that's newer, tested and more scalable they may take 0.5 just
for that.

No need to include the DansGuardian, yet. Right now the deployments seem
to take the XS, customize it and add their own filtering tool. I think a
default, built-in filtering solution would be nice but not critical
quite yet.

We need to reach out to Paraguay and see if they will use the default XS
or if they have any customizations or critical requirements. I'll try to
do that ASAP.

I think the main strategy for us is to have an answer to the following
at any time:

1 - What version should I deploy if I need to do something today and
what features does it have?

2 - When will the next version be available and what new features does
it offer?

I think we're close to a crisp answer on those but it would really help
to have a single URL type answer (let me know if I can help with that).

My main message is that we should start treating this like a production
class system which will go in to real schools (some we know about and
some we don't) every month from now on.

Thanks,

Greg S