[Server-devel] What's cooking in the XS pot this week (2008-10--01)

Bryan Berry bryan.berry at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 01:22:46 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 18:09 +1300, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 4:51 PM, Bryan Berry <bryan.berry at gmail.com> wrote:
> > We will be setting up two labs here in Nepal, one in the next couple
> > weeks and likely one in the first week of November at Nepal's Dept of
> > Education. Depending on our experiences in those labs, we want to roll
> > out a new version of the XS in November to our two pilot schools and
> > possibly a new pilot school.
>
> I'm very interested in hearing about those experiences.

this depends on how much progress Tony can make. Unfortunately, too much
management crap and talking w/ donors keeps me from spending enough time
on the XS

> > w/ two exceptions. We still find it a bear to install the XS from
> > scratch. That could be our fault but it needs to be easier to set up
> > ejabberd properly. It also needs to be easier to get dansguardian up and
> > running. As far as I can tell dansguardian is not pre-installed on the
> > XS in XS 0.4.
>
> How happy are you with DanGuardian? Is it a useful filter?

We use it internally w/in our office and we are happy w/ it. We use it
locally to "eat our own dog food." By default it blocks a lot if not
most content on the Internet, including stuff that doesn't seem
objectionable at all.

I think dans is essential because it will keep the adults from using up
all the bandwidth to look at porn. the secondary reason, to protect kids
is also important ;)