[Server-devel] What's cooking in the XS pot this week (2008-10--01)

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 12:42:19 EDT 2008

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the update!

Its great to see all the items planned for or in 0.5:
http://dev.laptop.org/query?status=assigned&status=closed&status=new&status=reopened&order=priority&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=component&milestone=xs-0.5

On your question of who is waiting for XS 0.5, I know of at least two
deployments that are building labs and testing configurations with XS
software:

Paraguay
Birmingham

Both will need a stable XS that they can use ASAP. Whether they will go
with XS 0.5 or not depends on what 0.5 includes, when 0.6 will be
available and what it includes.

AFAIK Moodle is not a must have item for either deployment.

A stable and scalable eJabber is critical as are basic XS features like:
- Caching
- Filtering (is DanGuardian built in and shipped with the XS ?)
- NAT

Birmingham may start using XOs and an XS in schools in mid-Novemeber.
Paraguay will probably start later but we should lock down their version
ASAP as they want lead time to really flush out all issue in the lab.

They may both use the backup and restore feature if they have enough
disk on the server (of course they will use it whether they like it or
not as you can't turn it off :-).

I think there other deployments that will want to use a school server
before the end of 2008. Two other features which may tip the balance for
deployments are upgrade of XO images and activities via school server
cache (Peru).

Spending a little more time to make sure that XS 0.5 is very stable and
well documented is a good idea. However, we should start to be more
precise about the features and dates for each release we plan to deliver
before the end of CY 08.

Thanks,

Greg S