[Server-devel] Setting up XS-0.5 for testing

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 18:25:58 EST 2008

2008/11/18 Dan Poltawski <talktodan at gmail.com>:
> I'm looking at setting up a simple test rig for playing with the school
> server, and I have the following hardware for use:
>
> * An XO
> * A generic laptop with a wired & a wireless interface and XS-0.5
> installed
> * A generic wireless AP
> * (A NATTed dhcp'd network with external connectivity)
>
> Can I setup a test rig with that hardware - how would you go about it?

You are on the right track - the current XS configuration doesn't know
what to do with the wireless interface the machine has, so it'll
probably ignore it.

And tyou can use xs-swapnics even on a single-nic machine, to set the
only nic to be eth1. Some of it is documented in the README
(README.networking perhaps) for the xs-config package.

> With a basic XS install, the server seemed to connect to the external
> network fine, and also created a school-mesh-0 wireless network
> which was visible from my mac - but not seemingly from the XO.

school-mesh-0 probably came from the XO though, when it attempts to
setup a mesh connection ot'll send frames that your machine may have
interpreted erroneously as an AP.

> So the next thing I tried was connecting the WAP to the XS ethernet
> interface. However, on investigation I noticed that dhcpd was not
> running (and was asking for network_config and domain_config to be run).
> So I ensured network_config and domain_config were sorted and rebooted.

Good step, combine with xs-swapnics and you'll be on the right track I think

hope that helps!

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com