[Server-devel] XS 0.5 upgrade notes

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Wed Nov 12 12:10:48 EST 2008

Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 12:31 AM, Douglas Bagnall
> <douglas at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
>> Some issues noticed with an upgrade from XS 0.4 to a XS 0.5 candidate.
>>

>> At this point I tried to yum upgrade to get changes I'd made since
>> spinning the ISO, but nothing happened, because:
>>
>> [root at schoolserver1 ~]# yum repolist
>> repo id              repo name                                status
>> fedora               Fedora 7 - i386                          enabled :   7,382
>> olpc                 OLPC 7 - i386                            enabled :      83
>> updates              Fedora 7 - i386 - Updates                enabled :   4,545
>>
>> Yum still wants to use the XS 0.4 repos.  This seems to be related to
>> #8033 and the use of the alternate /etc/yum.repos.olpc.d/, but I'm not
>> entirely sure of the solution.
>
> Ouch. So it's still using the old/bad yum config file? That'd be
> something to look into around the xs-config upgrade path where we try
> to fixup overwritten files.

Well, since /etc/yum.conf is provided by yum itself, there should of
been a yum.conf.rpm(olpc?)new file created as not to overwrite our
modified one. Douglas, is there a "new" file present on your machine?
I'm just a little short of time right now to recreate the steps, I don't
have a 0.4 yum.conf file to look at right now, I can't recall other than
repodir what was changed, could you post yours? There should be an
upgrade.log dropped into /root by anaconda, mind if I have a look it?

Think the best way out of this is to have xs-release move/rename the
current yum.conf file. Yum should then install a pristine one, just need
to check the installation order of the rpms from the above log file,
just to be sure that yum installs after xs-release. This should smooth
things over going forward.

Since the topic of "yum upgrades" came up, is this support wanted? I'm
thinking that this could be doable from the cdrom and/or across the net.
At least a script that sources the cdrom as the repo to use while
disabling the network based repos, then calls yum to do the upgrade.

To help make this installation easier to use, we may want to define a
"group" in the comps.xml file. This would allow you to install the
xs-release rpm, to activate the repos, then do a "yum groupinstall
xs-school-server" then your off and running...

I'll have some time to throw at this in a day or so, if there is any
interest.

Jerry