[Server-devel] Issue with ds-backup in XS 0.4

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 13:58:51 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 12:18 AM, Bill Bogstad <bogstad at pobox.com> wrote:
> I was just about to try to upgrade my XS 0.4 to 0.5 dev8 and noticed
> something odd concerning ds-backup.  When I originally installed 0.4,

Thanks for the report! As Douglas mentions, you can force a
re-registration; however I can't think of any good reason for the
upgraded XO to not perform its backups.

Is there any evidence of the laptop attempting the backups? Some ideas
for debugging:

on the XO
 - look for entries in the cron log
 - check that /etc/cron.d/ds-backup is in place (you can edit it to
get logs of the execution)

on the XS
 - look for entries in the logs that indicate logins via ssh
 - check for permissions/ownership issues in the homedir

> This raises an operational question.  If someone already has deployed
> XS (0.4 or earlier) against which older XO releases are registered,
> what do they do in order to take advantage of ds-backup?

It should just work - any bugs here are worthy of diagnosis.

> Should all
> the XOs re-register?

No -- an important change we want to make - and Douglas alluded to -
is that future versions of the XO sw should 're-register' regularly
and automatically. As the XS gets smarter, it wants more info about
the XO.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com