[Server-devel] Issue with ds-backup in XS 0.4

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Tue Nov 11 00:18:30 EST 2008

I was just about to try to upgrade my XS 0.4 to 0.5 dev8 and noticed
something odd concerning ds-backup.  When I originally installed 0.4,
I registered an XO on which I had done a complete flash install of
767/8.2.  Ds-backup kicked in and I can see multiple backups of that
machine both via the web server and in /library/users/...  I had
another XO which was running the 703 build.  I successfully registered
this XO against the XS server as well.  The appropriate /library/users
directory was created for the 703 XO, but as expected (since ds-backup
isn't in 703) no backups occurred.  A couple of days ago, I upgraded
the 703 machine to 767 via the network using olpc-update.  There are
been no backups of the machine that originally registered when it was
running 703.

This raises an operational question.  If someone already has deployed
XS (0.4 or earlier) against which older XO releases are registered,
what do they do in order to take advantage of ds-backup?   Should all
the XOs re-register?  Is there a way to do this without mucking around
in a terminal window to convince the XO that it isn't registered any
more?  If one does have to muck around, how should this be done to
avoid losing other user customizations?

Perhaps, there is a way to do something on the XS to 'upgrade' the
registration of older XO releases to add ds-backup functionality? The
/library/users directory for the older machine does have an
.ssh/authorized_keys file.  What else is needed on the XS in order for
backups to work?  I can see no obvious significant differences in the
/library/users directories.

Thanks,
Bill Bogstad