[Server-devel] XS - XO archiving and backup

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 10:49:50 EST 2008

Hi Bryan et al,

FYI: there is some documentation on the backup and restore feature.

See: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_Backup_and_restore_to_school_server

Linked from the 8.2 release notes:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_Notes/8.2.0

I also added a link to that documentation in the 0.4 release notes:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Release_Notes#XS_0.4

FYI all, I moved this feature from 0.3 to the 0.4 section of the roadmap
and moved SOTP from 0.3 to 0.5: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Roadmap

On backup and restore, aside from the comments already mentioned, I
suggest you pay careful attention to the available space on your XS. You
should have about 2GB free space on your XS for each XO. If you don't
have enough space it may move some of the files over your wireless LAN
then not save them on the XS.

For more background, see this thread:
http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/server-devel/2008-September/002058.html

Also, this feature is on by default when using XO 8.2 and XS 0.4.
There's no GUI to turn it off but I assume you could disable it on the
XS with a few manual changes to the config.

More questions and comments welcome.

Thanks,

Greg S