[Server-devel] Weird Device Recognition in 163

Anna aschoolf at gmail.com
Sun May 25 14:06:41 EDT 2008

Friday afternoon, I installed 163 on another machine at Glen Iris.  At
first I thought the problem was with 163, so I gave 161 a go, but still
had the same error so I persevered on with 163.

Instead of the prompt to pick the timezone, I got an error about
anaconda not finding an sda device.  After  some messing around, I
realized the hard drive was being seen as sdb.  163 finally installed
after I fdisked sdb to remove all the partitions (this used to be a Dell
Windows XP workstation) then edited the anaconda.cfg file in /root,
changing sda to sdb.

Question - is that going to be an issue having the volumes on sdb
instead of sda?

The other weird device thing involved the second NIC.  The first one
gets recognized as eth0 just fine.  However, the second one is seen as
dummy0.  I put the hardware address for the second NIC in both
/etc/sysconfig/olpc-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 and
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1, but service network restart
still brought up dummy0.  As this was late Friday afternoon before a
holiday weekend, the library staff was anxious to leave and needed to
lock up, so I couldn't play around with it anymore and halted the system.

So here's another question - any thoughts on why it wants to see the
second NIC as dummy0 and how can I make it be eth1?

Thanks,

Anna Schoolfield
Birmingham