[Server-devel] solar above 3500 m, was Re: [OLPC-Peru] Extreme Linux Server Available to North America

Yama Ploskonka yama at netoso.com
Fri May 2 19:35:31 EDT 2008

Javier,

Great note, let me just segue with my own issue

<snip>
> *ENERGY*
<snip>
> we have
> discuss solar panels and other options that seems not very useful for
> our mountains...

hmm.  Could you please give details?
I am planning to use panels in Bolivia altitudes 3800 - 4200 m.  If you
  or anyone has a good reason why this is not a good idea, please do
share!  I would not want to invest in something that is known to be no
good.  You can put it directly in the wiki, or if it's OK with you I
will put your answer there.  This might be very important to know!
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Solar

  By the way, I am VERY curious on why the XO is rated maximum altitude
of 3048 m, and no mention of cold.  Thaya!  Alalay in utama!
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Hardware_specification#Environmental_specifications
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Talk:Hardware_specification#Temperature_and_Altitude_constraints

What would happen if we attempt to use it at higher altitudes than 3048
m? (that pretty much would shoot down Garcias' 80.000 villages :-( )

> *INTERNET CONNECTION
> *Is there some advance in relationship to developing a "sneaker net" (I
> call it a "llama net"...)

I used to call it "abarka net" in my Andean days.  sneaker =~ abarka :-)
I'm afraid that will be the way to go.  VSAT is too expensive, any other
alternative not realistic.

Yama
Este martillo cree que todas las cabezas son clavos...  solares, por
supuesto