[Server-devel] GPRS connectivity

Jon Camfield Jon at JonCamfield.com
Thu May 1 11:36:54 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 3:27 AM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 3:47 PM, John Watlington <wad at laptop.org> wrote:
>  >  Did anybody ever figure out what drivers were necessary and try this
>  >  out ?
>  >  GPRS connectivity is being considered in some areas of Peru...
>
>  the stuff I've used (Sierra cards) has had modules in mainline that
>  automagically setup a serial device that you can address with ppp. So
>  you "dial" a bogus number to get the modem going and then go through a
>  similarly bogus MS-CHAP auth process (that I guess are there to make
>  things similar to how you login to an old-style internet connection).

In the past with Siemens and Motorola phones connected via USB or IR;
I also used an usbserial device and pppd.  Somewhere I have an
autodetect-and-dial script I made for rural schools in Jamaica based
off of this info: http://www.polycon.fi/~laa/biblo/linux_gprs.html
(NB: GPRS was free at the time!).