[Server-devel] Web-based Management Interface for the XS

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 00:25:30 EDT 2008

2008/3/25 Aaron Huslage <huslage at gmail.com>:
> This breaks a design goal actually. If you check out the Bitfrost pages
> (start at: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Bitfrost) you'll see that centralized
> stuff is pretty discouraged in the spec, and that would cover the LDAP idea
> I think. Additionally LDAP is flaky in a sporadically connected environment.
> I don't think putting an LDAP server on the XS is a good idea, to be honest.

Exactly. LDAP has lots of problems. It was great as a common way of
interoperating in early days, where you couldn't get your MTAs, OSs,
applications, etc to all talk to all (closed) databases. These days
everything talks to libpq (PostgreSQL) and libmysql with no problem,
and the relational model scales much better.

The only thing that LDAP has of different and perhaps interesting is
the deletated/distributed model, but as noone uses it, it hasn't
matured either :-(

Let's avoid that tar-pit ;-)

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com