[Server-devel] Web-based Management Interface for the XS

crosvera crosvera at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 21:42:27 EDT 2008

El sáb, 22-03-2008 a las 18:05 -0400, Martin Langhoff escribió:
> On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 3:49 PM, Aaron Huslage <huslage at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I just want to make a quick point. One main reason that many web-based admin
> > interfaces don't work is because the problem is extremely difficult.
>
> I agree with you. Nothing beats the cli, text based config files and
> log wranging. We won't even try to go where webmin/e-box/vhcs have
> gone. However, what they do have of valuable is the libraries and
> backends.

as well you wrote, nothing beats the cli and text based config, so i
think that the admin interface for school servers could be just an
complement of the whole server config, and may be a fast way to make the
daily config.

> Some of the scenarios I want to cater for are:
>
>  - I want to install optional feature X ( - a high level
> package/service manager that shows only certain metapackages and
> starts/stops services)
>  - Can't see the internet/wan or can't see a specific XO - network
> status overview and diagnostics
>  - Stuck with a problem, need to send some logs to the OLPC team (via
> network or USB key)
>  - New HD is plugged in, and the OS might choose one of a few things
> to do with it (more storage, mirror the data for backup purposes, etc)
>
> considering these tasks are to be performed by a user with a
> reasonable skill in using the XO UI. So designing the UI will be a lot
> of fun, but from the overall project POV, perhaps 10% of it. 50% will
> be making them _really_ belts-and-suspenders failsafe. Once we are out
> in the field, everything that can go wrong will go wrong somewhere,
> for someone.
>
> We might get a power brownout/blackout while we edit a config file,
> the drive we are writing to will be yanked out or crash, and everytime
> we have to recover gracefully.
>
> That is why the backend is 80 to 90% of the job, and the first step is
> to research the backends out there.
>
> cheers,

Carlos Ríos V.
Estudiante de Ing. de Ejec. en Comp. e Inf.
Universidad del Bío-Bío