[Server-devel] Web-based Management Interface for the XS

Marten Vijn info at martenvijn.nl
Sat Mar 22 05:11:36 EDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-03-22 at 00:52 -0400, John Watlington wrote:
> PHP security is viewed as less than acceptable for interfaces
> accessible from the open Internet.
> (The words of our security architect, which I see no reason to doubt.)
> It is viewed as barely acceptible for interfaces which can only be
> accessed from within the school.
>
> Should the configuration interface should also be available on the
> WAN interface ?
> My opinion is yes.

1. or use a vpn/ssh to access it.
avoiding thing i see right now on port 22 (over 1200 attempts per
weekend)

2 more:
- we could use something like puppet as backend and add nessesciary
modules. https://reductivelabs.com/
- write a front end for it (if someone is not doing that already)
- monowall /pfsense had nice php* examples of plugable gui's

in the end configuration should accessable by:
- https
- cmdline (ssh)
- snmp3

The designer has to be aware of that.

3. adding a abstration layer might be  better to do configs for like
nagios,cacti,smartctl,mdadm,

Marten