[Server-devel] Database on server

Marten Vijn info at martenvijn.nl
Fri Mar 21 04:23:37 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 19:26 -0400, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 2:47 PM, John Watlington <wad at laptop.org> wrote:
> >  You are correct that postgres is in the build, but nothing
> >  currently requires it.   The idmgr package is using sqlite instead.
> >
> >  Martin can either make this call or lead further discussion.
>
> I have certainly been mulling on this -- I have experience with both,
> and my intention is to define a simple, but effective set of criteria
> and see which DB meets it best. The key webapps we care about support
> both (I did the support of the Pg port for a while for Moodle),
> support for Pg is growing and SQL syntax is converging. So support in
> webapps we care about is no longer the monster it used to be.
>
> One of the key metrics I will take into account is behaviour in low
> mem conditions -- and I plan on asking MySQL devs and Pg devs to give
> us a bit of help configuring them. Off the cuff, I'd compare...
>
>  - Stability / sanity
>  - Good performance & behaviour in memory-constrained, low-end HW scenarios
>  - Our core webapps/apps/libs support it
>  - Strong dev community
>     - multiple vendors contributing on one codebase
>     - one or more talented and respected leaders - can resolve conflicts
>     - growing dev activity (number of patches, number of authors)
>  - Random apps out there support it (long last in priority...)

I would add:
- scalablity
- portabily

- on small/embedded systems (class scale) running form cf i would run
sqlite in memdrive and backup every n minutes to cf and/or remote.

- school size (>200) i would like to
 	- multiple servers with mysql/pg
 	- separate database server

- on city size (in Leiden all school fibers come together in one colo)
  - http servers/clusters
  - database servers (clusters)
  - realstorage couple T's to start with

just 2 ct,