[Server-devel] Drupal on OLPC? (Martin Langhoff)

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Mon Mar 17 12:18:43 EDT 2008

Carol Lerche wrote:
> I have looked on the wiki and find no mention of how moodle and
> mediawiki are to be used on the school server.  Since my need is in
> providing an in-class "website" for young children, I find drupal much
> closer to providing what I think is needed than either moodle or
> mediawiki.  Perhaps my inspection of the moodle website has not
> adequately found the optional modules or customization that would
> allow what I need.  It appears far more suitable as a tool for older
> kids and teachers.  But a wiki is certainly not what I need.  My use
> cases map to a content management system such as Drupal much better.
> Specifically, I want to have an album made by the kids where they can
> upload their photos from "record".  I have separately provided a
> library cataloging application and done a book drive to give my target
> school 800 or so books, which I have cataloged and want to display on
> their classroom website dynamically and with an interface tailored to
> emerging readers.  I have various documents aimed at teachers and
> administrators which could presumably also work in moodle, but could
> be made more attractive in a system like Drupal I belive.
>
> Now, Martin may have a perfect counterexample to this
> (mis)understanding of mine, and if so, please point to it.  Otherwise,
> it seems like some use case gathering is needed before making a
> decision that moodle and mediawiki cover all bases.
>
> As to Sameer's taxonomy, it probably covers the OLPC-sponsored
> territory, but to encompass small deployments not sponsored by OLPC,
> one needs to consider cases like mine, where no access to live
> antennae is available.

That's a great idea. A use case taxonomy for different environments,
including the non-OLPC centric ones as Carol pointed out. I have to run
off to a meeting...can someone start a wiki page for this? Starting at
the use case as opposed to software packages makes a lot more sense to
me. Use case establishes the specifics of the need, and that will then
lead to the selection of packages, Moodle or otherwise.

Sameer