[Server-devel] Sharing Expreriences

Rafael Enrique Ortiz Guerrero dirakx at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 14:56:29 EDT 2008

Hi greg

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 1:23 PM, Greg Smith (gregmsmi) <gregmsmi at cisco.com>
wrote:

> Hi Rafael,
>
> That's great news about Colombia! I didn't see anything on the Colombia
> list but I may have missed it. Is this the Boyaca deployment?

This is not disclosed yet in Colombia due to  i have not an official permit
to do so yet :) .
But it is not the boyaca deployment. (more details later)

Let me know if you need more local contacts or support. I have a few
technically inclined nephews in Bogotá and know a Colombian
programmer/architect in Boston who may chip in....

> In the run up to Nepal deployment I extracted some discussion from the
> list to create two pages on server requirements and development.
>
> This one shows all the main ideas we kicked around in the early going:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Nepal:School_Server_Specification
>
> This one shows a more limited and focused implementation intended to get
> the system up ASAP:
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Nepal:School_Server_Specification_-_Phase_1_Design
>
> I added Bryan's diff file in barely human readable format to the second.
> Ping him for the .txt version if you want it.
>
> Those pages are about a month out of date. There is a new XS image which
> Wad sent you and Bryan has the details on what they will really deploy. Use
> my server pages for an intro to some decisions you want to consider and let
> me know if you have any questions.
>
> One piece of advice is to figure out how much BW and power you will have
> in the schools ASAP. Also, nail down the Server HW (CPU, RAM and disk) and
> Access Point options early. Those points drive a lot of other sw and design
> decisions later.
>
> Estoy a tu servicio en qualquier cosa para Colombia. Avisame como puedo
> ayudar!
>
> Gracias

Thanks for your help offer i'll contact you if it is needed, we are still
making the planning so there is not a concrete plan yet but all of this
information it's going to be very useful for the deployment.

Gracias por todo greg, y estaremos en contacto, mas informacion proximamente
en la lista de correo de Colombia.

rafael at laptop.org