[Server-devel] Blog post on Nepal's pilot schools

Bryan Berry bryan.berry at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 09:56:16 EDT 2008

Greg,

>I think I understand now. Its 8Mb/s from school to Katmandu
> Administration building (Data center) and thin pipe (~256Kb/s) from
> there to Global Internet. Is that right?

Correct

>The only unknown would be if Jabber/Mesh traffic will flood that 8Mb/s
> link.

Exactly, and we won't really know if the mesh traffic will flood the
link but I expect it will, esp. if kids share stuff like we hope they
will. Also, we don't yet know how much signal loss we will have b/w the
datacenter and the school.

>XS in the Katmandu Data Center will solve your power, physical security
> and on site management challenges!

Power will still be a huge issue because we have 8 hours of
load-shedding per day (no grid electricity) so we have to have UPS's on
the school sites and physically secure those UPS's