[Server-devel] #6624 - ejabberd requires working DNS root servers

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 06:13:32 EST 2008

On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 1:11 PM, John Watlington <wad at laptop.org> wrote:
>  I'm not sure that it will help, as we are certain that ejabberd/erlang
>  must be going around the school server DNS infrastructure.  That
>  is part of the mystery --- from the point of view of the school server,
>  it HAS a valid domain name (by the local DNS server being
>  the authoritative server for that domain)

I think it has to do with ejabberd testing that the domain is
resolvable _and_ reachable. I have been playing with ejabberd a bit,
but haven't gotten as far as getting strace to show something useful.
But this FAQ seems to be on-topic: http://www.ejabberd.im/subdomains -

Tomorrow night NZ-time I'll get a bit more time to trace this.
Hopefully I'll have an strace or some debug information that I can
post to the ejabberd development lists.

cheers,

martin