[Server-devel] questions about using Wireshark to monitor the Mesh

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Sun Mar 2 10:52:06 EST 2008

Those RPMs are already patched.   What the patches allow are:
support for mesh link layer messages (RREQ,PREQ, RREPLY, etc.)
and decoding our new non-standard mesh multicast packets.

That version doesn't dig into the telepathy packets.   I have a
patch from collabora that should do that, but haven't applied
and tested it yet.   I'll get it out ASAP (the patch is attached).

IPv6 is turned off on recent school server builds.    It breaks
installations with more than a single school server --- see the
trac ticket for details (sorry no number, I'm offline).  mDNS is
shown fine by the patched version, but should be turned off in
a school server environment.

In order to see all frames (and not just those containing IP packets),
you have to bring up a special interface on the mesh driver (bringing
down the regular one.)

On servers with one wired ethernet interface, type:
ifconfig eth1 down
ifconfig msh0 down

On servers with two wired ethernet interfaces, type:
ifconfig eth2 down
ifconfig msh0 down

Then, on all types of servers, type:
echo 7 > /sys/class/net/eth2/lbs_rtap
ifconfig rtap0 up

Now point wireshark at rtap0 instead of msh0 to see more packets.
The number echoed into lbs_rtap is a bit field indicating which frame
types you want to see.
I believe this is documented at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Wireless

Cheers,
wad