[Server-devel] Want to package PostgreSQL for OLPC

Devrim GÜNDÜZ devrim at CommandPrompt.com
Wed Jun 25 09:52:49 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 09:44 -0400, Martin Langhoff wrote:

> > We have compat packages, and all pam-pgsql, etc in that repository.
> So,
> > using those files won't be a problem.
>
> Fantastic! So python-pgsql and php-pgsql are there too?

python-psycopg2 is there, but not php-pgsql. The question is: Is
php-pgsql already in OLPC package set? If yes, we have compat packages
to satisfy dependencies. If not, I can give it a shot.

> > So, please let me know when you need the config files, and also how
> can
> > I submit those packages to OLPC repository.
>
> When? Yesterday ;-)  - but perhaps there is no need for rebuilding the
> packages. What I am wondering about is what the best solution is to
> maintain those alternative configurations long-term.
>

> Perhaps we could have a postgresql-server-altinit package that
> provides an alternative init script + config files and disables the
> init script from postgresql-server. The alternative init check memory
> size, and starts with the appropriate config files.

Maybe we can solve this issue during initdb process, and copy the
preconfigured config file based on the memory to data directory after we
run initdb.

It may be easier to maintain...

BTW... I must admit that I did not work for OLPC project before, so I
don't know how to do things.

Regards,
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE