[Server-devel] Want to package PostgreSQL for OLPC

Devrim GÜNDÜZ devrim at CommandPrompt.com
Wed Jun 25 09:16:44 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 08:48 -0400, Martin Langhoff wrote:

> How hard is it to get a backport of Pg8.2/8.3, plus some key
> dependencies (php-pgsql, python-pgsql, pam-pgsql) recompiled to use
> the new libpq, all on F7?

http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org ;)

I have already built all PG combinations against Fedora 7-8-9 and RHEL
4,5.

We have compat packages, and all pam-pgsql, etc in that repository. So,
using those files won't be a problem.

> Also - I see you work at CommandPrompt -- so I'll throw a wishlist
> item I have on my list in your direction. Perhaps you, or someone at
> CommandPrompt has something similar. With Pg packaged, what we will
> need to come up with is ~3 sets of config files tuned for different
> memory footprints. The same XS image will be used in hosts with
> various memory configurations - 256MB RAM on XO hardware, 1GB on the
> recommended config, and high-end hosts may have more RAM.

Sure, it is doable -- I can do it for you.

> Pg cannot take all of that memory, but perhaps 15%-20% is a reasonable
> footprint. The workload for Pg is mainly Moodle and MediaWiki.

Ok.

> One of the key things for the XS is that we should not OOM, and our
> working set _must not_ end up in swap. And we have several services we
> have to run, so it's a bit of a tough diet on RAM usage. We gotta
> sweat every MB :-)

You are right.

So, please let me know when you need the config files, and also how can
I submit those packages to OLPC repository.

Regards,
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE