[Server-devel] Samba's Talloc and mem pressure on the XS - tinkerers?

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 22:32:38 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 10:27 PM,  <pgf at laptop.org> wrote:
> reading the talloc guide (referred to by the url you gave) i don't
> understand how you can just just "drop in" talloc as a malloc replacement --
> it doesn't seem like the API matches up anywhere.  it's also not
> clear what the advantage would be, since the code (like existing apache code)
> wouldn't be taking advantage of the hierarchical nature of talloc().
>
> what am i missing?

I was reading lightly over it and found that I'm missing that too.
Talking to tridge, he shrugged and told me to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH so
it did sound like a drop-in. Maybe he's talking about a wrapper around
talloc that I haven't seen yet, 'cause I'm looking ath the sources and
malloc ain't defined.

As I said, I haven't had time to look into this in detail :-)

> (btw, re: named -- i'm a big fan of dnsmasq.  bind hasn't done us any
> favors in years.  kind of like sendmail -- "just say no".  :-)

Agreed. I wasn't aware of dnsmasq until recently, my bind-refuge for
many years has been djbdns, which seems to have a more reasonable
license as of late.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com