[Server-devel] Ultra Mobile XO Server

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 11:36:26 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 11:12 AM,  <s.boutayeb at free.fr> wrote:
>> Using the mesh?  Wiki and experience say the mesh cannot handle 40 XOs,
>> probably 15 is tops.
>
> We have here in France 'nil' experience and we will value your input and
> comments concerning the feasibility and scaleability of each scenario.

The mesh scales to about the same group size that the XO hw will be
able to handle acting as a XS. Right now some usage patterns hit bads
spots wrt mesh routing but we are working on that.

For larger groups, the XO could handle an AP, but that will require
additional hw and complications, but the machine will start hitting
memory and cpu limits anyway. So the sweet spot is small schools -
where mesh will do just fine.

>> Yes, we would save $500 a pop per server, but would we really?

The costs of XO + HD mean that the money savings are there but are not
the main consideration; however, the XO hw is very rugged and low
power. Most of the $500 servers are OTS kit that doesn't deal well
with dust, heat, etc.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com