[Server-devel] OA for OLPC, was Re: XS SW

Yama Ploskonka yama at netoso.com
Sat Jun 14 10:46:24 EDT 2008

Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 6:50 PM, Yama Ploskonka <yama at netoso.com> wrote:
>> I am looking forward to incorporate Open Admin (An open source web-based
>> school administration program. Includes student demographics, attendance,
>> discipline, report card, IEP, Gradebook, Daybook, ...)
>>
>> http://richtech.ca/openadmin
>
> Interesting! Good to hear of that. Two questions:
>
>  - Have you seen it "in action" in schools?

I haven't "with mine own eyes", but that's a long, sad story involving
management that doesn't believe in open source at the school I used to
work in...  I have been connected, mostly lurking, the development of OA
for at least 2 years and have come across several actual users, so
definitely, it is being used, though not yet a mainline thing.  The main
developer is very open to working with people of all levels, so that
works to my advantage :-).

Yes, I totally agree with you that you shouldn't trust or recommend
anything unless you have really good evidence, the only one really
passing all muster is one's own experience, so I think the question is
fair and appropriate.  I often complain about the need for more of this
approach in the Peripherals side of this biznai...

That's why I wasn't volunteering you guys to implement it, but rather
just sharing that I would try and look and see.

>  - How much does it overlap with Moodle?

zero idea, since I am still very unfamiliar with Moodle.  I agree this
is pretty much vital, but since they both potentially use either
database system, it should work (famous last words... :-))

I am copying this message to Les, he might be able to answer this one,
and maybe he gets interested in OLPC!