[Server-devel] EDuBlog XS Beta/Development Server

Tony Pearson tpearson at us.ibm.com
Fri Jun 13 16:25:01 EDT 2008

Hi Greg,
I'm glad we finally have settled down on a configuration for the EduBlog
Beta Server (EBBS)

> I think we should finalize the Fedora + XS server and get it shipped to
> Glen by the end of next week.

I've updated the wiki here with what I think are the "must have" and "nice
to have" requirements.
Please review.

        http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Educational_Blogger_Project

Based on suggestions from Wad and Martin, I had been invstigating Debian
and KVM alternatives,
so if all we want is now an XS machine, I will re-focus my efforts and put
those on the back burner.

> Networking should be setup to plug and play at Glen's hosting site.

I have three NICs, but only details for one IP connection.  Please
confirm.  I will test out all three
NIC connections, and then set one to match Glen's requirements.  Also, I
need you to finalize the
domain name.  The XS might decide one is for WAN and the other two are for
LAN for me.

> If we can get an image on CD too that let us boot and install it back to
> default config (preferably without overwriting new stuff but not
> critical) that would be helpful too.

Yes, I have been exploring Mondo Rescue and SysRescCD partimage methods. I
will include
CDs/DVDs in the box sent to Glen.

> Debian is a stretch goal. I want to make sure we get it to the hosting
> site in time to have a full week of config/debug before you go back on
> the road (June 30?).

I can probably drop in Debian in a separate partition, but will leave that
for last.  I will be travelling
to Japan/India July 5-20.  This is a business trip for IBM, so I will have
my laptop and cell phone,
and may be able to help with the installation remotely.  I will test my
ability to connect from my laptop
to the EBBS to confirm.

> Marcel will be lead sys admin so he will need user/pass access. Tarun
> needs SU access too and I could us a login. Please don't send any
> passwords on this list. I'll open a separate thread with Glen to work
> out the logistics.

Send me a list of users and their email addresses, and I will set them all
up.

> I wonder if we need a terminal server? I hope we can run it without that
> but if its needed and Glen will host it, I can look for one (probably
> need to buy it :-(.

Glen should have a screen, keyboard and mouse.  This could be "KVM
switched" with existing equipment
he already has.  For example, I have a 4-way KVM (keyboard, video, mouse)
switch that connects my
Apple Mac OS, my Windows XP, and this new EBBS all on the same
keyboard/mouse and video screen.
I hit "Scroll-Lock / Scroll-Lock / Up" sequence to change to the next
screen (or you can press the button on
the switch itself to pick one, but I am too lazy to get out of my chair).
The EBBS uses round PS2 style keyboard
and mouse connections (USB keyboard and mouse connections might need some
changes to configuration)

My biggest concern is that once it is in Pennsylvania, Glen will be the
one doing most of the work if there
are any problems with Internet connections, SU logins, etc.  I will do the
best I can for it be read "out of the
box", and have enough on there so that any minor updates could be done via
"wget" or "yum".

Glen should be able to use any Windows machine via OpenSSH to access the
command line console.
(Glen, if you need something, I can get you connected for a refurbished
IBM system for a few hundred
bucks, let me know).

Thanks