[Server-devel] Help on the School_server

Marten Vijn info at martenvijn.nl
Thu Jun 5 05:04:50 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 01:50 -0700, eskender andualem wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> We are  trying to configure the school server in Ethiopia but we found
> some documents which says we can only support <120 computers with one
> school server and three active antennas.Is it the only capacity which
> we can support with one school server.We have like 2500 students in
> one school  so what can we do?

mmm, this bigger than coping a couple of schoolserver

I would split (more or less in this order):
- network (using accesspoints/switches/routers)
- centralized maintaince for XO's (root shell over ssh)
- authentication/authorisation (concidering 802.1x or openvpn)
- acces servers (mail/http)
- storage disk / database servers
- backup (servers/service)
- monitoring (network/access/udate

All (most) can be done with opensource. I would recommend debian/freebsd
as base os. (maybe opensolaris for NFS-storage)

just 2 cts

Marten