[Server-devel] Edublog notes (was: Re: The road towards xs-0.3 - update)

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 16:34:47 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 2:36 AM, Greg Smith (gregmsmi)
<gregmsmi at cisco.com> wrote:
> Thanks a lot for the review. I copied your reply to the Uruguay edublog
> volunteer list: uruguay-XO-coordination at googlegroups.com

No prob. But make sure to bring them to subscribe to server-devel at .
Let's have the blogs-on-XS conversations here -- most of the tech
issues are common across XS projects ;-)

> A few preliminary questions.
> 1 - I'm not clear on what you are saying here: "DB - assume Postgres 8.x
> series, support mySQL"
> Is it PostGres or MySQL? (btw we already brought up a box w/MySQL, so
> hopefully it will be easy to copy tables and queries over).

The XS right now has Pg, and webapps that want a DB must use Pg. Now,
all the *good* blog systems out there support both Pg and mysql. Any
blog tool that lacks multi-db support, I would be suspicious of. So
pick one that supports both ;-)

The paragraph above has an implied recommendation: don't write your own.

> 2 - Should we have our own table in a single DB that is shared by Moodle

You should be looking at using
 - Moodle's "official" blog facility --> if you need to add a table,
it'll have to be inside of moodle's DB
 - Moodle's "oublog"  --> same as above
 - An existing standalone blog tool --> the blog tool will have its
own DB, create any additional tables in there

> and all other apps or do need our own DB. I think the DB will be used
> for storing who posted what blog where, pending blogs and all that kid
> of persistent data. Tarun may have other comments on what he needs in
> the DB.

Just to make sure it's clear: avoid having to write your own blogging
software for the XS.

> 3 - We will bring up another XS and will put it on the internet.

You'll want an XS testbed - probably in a VM. But for the box that
goes on the internet, feel free to use any distro and setup you find
useful.

> The HW and SW specs answer may be RTFM so don't hesitate to send a link.

There is a "XS Server specifications" page on the wiki ;-)

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com