[Server-devel] Weird Device Recognition in 163

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 06:22:40 EDT 2008

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 7:34 AM, Anna <aschoolf at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry for the lack of promptness, but they didn't invite me back to work on
> the server till this afternoon.  You're right.  In the BIOS, there was a ZIP
> drive (huh?) as Primary Master.  The hard drive is the SATA master.  I
> disabled the ZIP drive in BIOS and now the hard drive is sda like it's
> supposed to be.

One ghost put to rest ;-)

> So here's another question - any thoughts on why it wants to see the
> second NIC as dummy0 and how can I make it be eth1?

Sorry. No idea.

> I saved off the outputs of lsmod, lspci, dmesg, and /var/log/messages if
> you're still interested, but I did get eth1 working.  It wasn't being
> recognized according to lspci, so I popped open the case and moved it to
> another slot.  Eth1 then initialized on boot, but dummy0 kept getting
> assigned 172.18.0.1.  So, here's what I did:

That makes bit more sense. A bad pci connection... but I'm not sure
why it didn't come up with the right ip addr. I do wonder whether the
fedora tools have anything to automagically define a "device affinity"
once it's seen a given mac address (to avoid logical device swaps if
you reorder your NICs on a PCI bus). But that's a long shot.

> The two test XOs were able to pull IPs from the XS after that.  Like last
> Friday, I didn't have time to fool around with it anymore or test
> registration cause they were closing up the school.
>
> On my way out, I discovered there's another issue that I'm going to have to
> find some way to deal with.  The school IT personnel is dead set on finding
> some way to integrate all the wireless access points and the XS/XO into
> their existing network.

Don't worry too much about this. The XS wants to do its own thing by
design, because our main deployment scenario is a blank slate. In
places with an existing IT infrastructure, we'll have to "fit in" and
share nicely. The NYC team has made a bit of headway in that
direction, initially based on a capture of what Wad and myself did to
tune an XS install to fit in a sample NYC school network env.  I'm
CC'ing Andrew Berkowitz who might be able to summarise what he's
looking at.

It'd be great to have a wikipage with a "how to make the XS play well
with others in an existing network" (hint, hint ;-) ).

(From a network admin perspective, if every vendor and/or pilot scheme
is allowed to set up its own parallel infrastructure the long term
result is a straitjacket and a padded room. Let's try and make things
easy and less madness inducing for them, and the XS in that scenario
gets quite a few things from the network "for free", like filtering
proxies, etc.)

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com