[Server-devel] Notes on the School Server

Bryan Berry bryan at olenepal.org
Tue Jul 29 07:24:08 EDT 2008

David Van Assche and I are building a test XS for the OLE Nepal office.

We started off w/ OS_163 and then used yum update to update to the
testing repo.

On the whole, we found the process of setting up the XS quite confusing.

Here are some quick notes:

* Martin's patch, which he gratefully provided us
* fully qualified hostname has to be set in /etc/sysconfig/network
* /etc/sysconfig/olpc-scripts ournewdomain.org  -- but this didn't
change all the entries
* had to cd /var/named ; sed -i
's/random.xs.laptop.org/newdomainname.org/g' *

* Have to set dns_nameservers in squid.conf to actual DNS servers
* Idmgr is using port 8080 when that is the default port for
dansguardian, this was quite confusing to us
* dansguardian should be included in the olpc repo, it is currently in
the dries repo

Hope this was useful. More to come later

--
Bryan W. Berry
Systems Engineer