[Server-devel] Building LiveCDs on F9

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 00:24:36 EDT 2008

It turns out that only F7 can build a F7 livecd. A bit disappointing
of a build tool - we'll find time to explore pungi asap - for now it
is sane & safe to create a F7 chroot inside a F9 host as a well known
and understood build environment.

The procedure goes as follows

 # install packages
 $sudo yum install mock git-core

 # get a checkout of the livecd kickstart scripts
 $ git clone git://dev.laptop.org/projects/xs-livecd /my/src/path/

 # setup a F7 chroot using mock, and add a bind mount to the xs-livecd dir
 # you will need to re-mount the bindmount after a reboot, or put it in fstab
 $ sudo mock -r fedora-7-i386 --init
 $ sudo mkdir /var/lib/mock/fedora-7-i386/root/xs-livecd
 $ sudo mount -o bind /my/src/path/xs-livecd
/var/lib/mock/fedora-7-i386/root/xs-livecd

 # install a couple of dependencies in the chroot
 $ sudo mock -r fedora-7-i386 --install kudzu
 $ sudo mock -r fedora-7-i386 --install livecd-tools

 # Enter the chroot - root prompt in the chroot is '>'
 $ sudo mock -r fedora-7-i386 --shell
 # the chroot does not have loop devices, make a couple
 > mknod -m 600 /dev/loop0   b 7 0
 > mknod -m 600 /dev/loop1   b 7 1
 # and now build the image
 > cd /xs-livecd
 > livecd-creator -c kickstarts/livecd-auto.ks --fslabel XSTEST_00

 # A quick check of whether the image runs correctly - ourside of the chroot
 qemu -m 512 --cdrom XSTEST_00.iso

cheers,

martin
 martin.langhoff at gmail.com