[Server-devel] Static Ip settings

David Leeming leeming at pipolfastaem.gov.sb
Fri Jul 25 17:00:50 EDT 2008

I am a little new to Linux at this level, please can the list advise me
regarding changing the network settings for static IP. I'm also not a wizard
on general networking.

I am in the "field" in the Solomon Islands, in the middle of single-class
deployments in 3 primary schools. I have a demo XS on a laptop with a
prototype AA. It works great and adds a really useful dimension for the
teachers and education officials, not to mention the teachers and students.
I have loaded it with a variety of demo contents in different formats,
within a simple html framework. In a couple of weeks we will be delivering
servers for each school and starting to work on content from the curriculum
dept and other sources.

However, the immediate task at the current school is to connect the XS to a
VSAT that the school has been enjoying here, a pilot one as part of a
regional program called Pacific Rural Internet Connectivity System (RICS).
The modem does not have DHCP, and I have no broadband router with me and
want to get it working on static IP so I can demo the Internet access for
XOs via the XS.

The VSAT is on network is 202.0.158.96/29

Gateway = 202.0.158.97

Usable IPs  202.0.158.99 - 202.0.158.103

I have changed the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eh0 to

DEVICE=eth0

ONBOOT=yes

BOOTPROTO=static

IPADDR=202.0.158.99

NETWORK=202.0.158.96

NETMASK=202.0.158.248

GATEWAY=202.0.158.97

And added the DNS to the /etc/resolv.conf file

nameserver = (IP of the DNS servers out on the Internet)

I can ping the IP addr i.e. 202.0.158.99 but any other address replies
"Destination host unreachable"

arp gives

202.0.158.97     (incomplete)

Ifconfig eth0 looks OK, it has found the hardware address and shows
Broadcast up (but not running)

What more can I do to diagnose?

David Leeming

 Solomon Islands, South Pacific