[Server-devel] EduBlog Question

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 08:12:55 EDT 2008

Hi Tarun,

Let me throw out a few more questions/ideas for you. These are kind of
stretch goals so let's get the previously defined stuff done first.

1 - Can we support a work flow like this:
- Teacher (Senora Garcia) configures page to frog blog and asks kids to
post to that.
- Pablo creates a blog post and send it to the teacher for review
- Senora Garcia makes a few comments and changes on the post and then
sends it to Juan
- Juan gets the post and edits it then sends it back to the teacher
- Repeat until the teacher likes it and sends it to the public blog (on
moodle site visible within school only or on public blogger.com site).
- Also, nice to allow any student to see the post in preview regardless
of who has the next edit.

I don't think I fully understand the Moodle version so maybe that will
be more clear when we get the new server version up.

2 - Can we identify the student who made the blog post in the post itself?
SJ expressed concern that all posts look like they come from the same
user. I explained that is a basic idea of blogs but he wants kids to get
credit and to be able to find all of their posts easily. I think they
can just type in their name but it would be helpful to know if we can
include some "name" automatically on each post. Looking at the test blog
I can't tell who posted so that might be a security measure too.

3 - Speaking of security. If EduBlog was running the XS as originally
intended we would have some control over who has network access to it.
Since it will be on the internet we need some other mechanism. I can
only think of one idea beyond user name and password which we want to
avoid. That is blocking all IP addresses except a few approved ones.
I'll see if we can do that with Linux and see if we can get the IPs of
people but I'm open to other suggestions too. The goal is for it to be
as secure as the blog to which it posts.

We also need to figure out who knows the user name and password to the
blog itself in case we are breached and need to take it down quickly.
Not sure if the answer to that is technical or social...

4 - Can we allow posting comments to blog posts?

1 and 3 are hottest for me but all are after we get the core stuff working.

Let me know if you have any questions. Also keep asking if I haven't
answered your previous questions.

Thanks,

Greg S