[Server-devel] Server-devel Digest, Vol 15, Issue 14

Tim Moody timmoody at sympatico.ca
Fri Jul 11 13:19:32 EDT 2008

The first time I installed 163 ejabberd did not work.  So I went back and
re-read the install instructions.  They imply that you can change the host
name with the command:

domain_config <new_domain_name> [<old_domain_name>].

If <old_domain_name> is not supplied, dnsdomainname is supposed to supply
it, but in my case it always returns 'Unknown host'.  Since domain_config
essentially does a global search and replace of  <old_domain_name> with
<new_domain_name> in a bunch of files, it will never change the host name
unless it gets the right <old_domain_name>.  The key for me was issuing the
command exactly as the notes say: domain_config <new_domain_name>
schoolserver.random.xs.laptop.org (because that is the default name).  After
that ejabberd worked on the new host name.  You might still have dns issues
with finding the newly named host.

Tim