[Server-devel] Content management in the XS

David Leeming leeming at pipolfastaem.gov.sb
Sun Jul 6 07:34:51 EDT 2008

Is there any CMS built into the XS, or is this up to us to install (i.e.
Moodle or whatever)?

I have for some time been thinking of the Wikieducator as a tool to scale up
local content development for the XO. It has an IMS export facility and I
have tested this; one can create "collections" (collected wiki content) and
export them as PDF or IMS packages. The IMS packages can be extracted to the
/var/www/html folder of the XS and the XOs view them just fine - although
there is no cross linkage between html files. The collection I tried was
750KB as a PDF but only 62KB as an IMS package - so it is obviously much
more efficient than using PDF files.

With OLPC Oceania we are toying with the idea of using the Wikieducator as a
core tool to build community and resulting capacity/sharing of skills, as a
massively scalable  repository for Oceania content, that can be adapted,
translated, pick and mixed, etc... and published for the XO with a few
clicks of the mouse...

I am involved with both OLPC Oceania and the Learning4Content (Wikieducator)
workshops of COL, and can see that by linking these programmes one can bring
together a range of government, NGO and wider community around a common
focus, to the advantage of all.

But some sort of CMS is needed on the XS. All the time one has to think of
simplicity. Moodle etc might not be the answer.  I am sure that plenty of
thought has gone in to that - some pointers to that would be appreciated.

David Leeming

Technical Advisor, People First Network

Honiara, Solomon Islands, South Pacific