[Server-devel] VPN server for our project

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 09:38:14 EDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 5:47 AM,  <s.boutayeb at free.fr> wrote:
> My question: has anyone experimented the fonction of a VPN network involving
> remote XS servers ?

It will be *way* easier to run it over HTTPS, and make it
authenticated. That way, you only need (https) configuration on the
central collaboration host. And it will work for any client, running
on any network.

Besides the many technical complications, most sysadmins will -
correctly - refuse to let you run random VPNs from their network to
another network that they do not trust. So establishing VPNs has
complexities in the social space too. And it's just not worth it -
https was designed exactly for this.

I do have a small request: before creating a new wikipage for your
project, discuss it here via email. It is an early chance for us as a
community to point you to preexisting projects, or to help shape
things.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com