[Server-devel] Laptop XS working

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Wed Jul 2 00:10:28 EDT 2008

On Jul 1, 2008, at 6:38 PM, Martin Langhoff wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 6:07 PM, David Leeming
> <leeming at pipolfastaem.gov.sb> wrote:
>> I then registered all three, this was uneventful. The register
>> option no
>> longer appears on the XOs.
>>
>> However, the result (unless this is a red herring) is that they
>> can all
>> still access the server and Internet but do not see each other any
>> more in
>> the neighbourhood and cannot collaborate.
>>
>> Can you point to any lines of attack to diagnose the problem.
>
> The output of the olpc-netstatus script is a key debugging tool. What
> do they say?
>
> A couple of questions that might help the matter
>
> - Did you restart the laptops after registration?
>
> - Did you configure ejabberd appropiately? Look in the configuration
> guide thesteps to setup the "Online" roster.

Symptom:
olpc-netstatus shows all laptops running gabble to a server,
the ejabberd admin page shows the laptop online,
but the laptops can't see one another.

This sounds like the online roster isn't setup properly.
Another possibility is that there needs to be a DNS entry
for conference.schoolserver resolvable on the school server.
(An obscure riff on this is that ejabberd uses erlang name
resolution, which tends to use alternate nameserver entries
more aggressively than libc.  Make sure that /etc/resolv.conf
only points to the local nameserver.)

Can we get more details about the laptop XS ?  Is it on an XO ????

wad