[Server-devel] Google Summer of Code and OLPC

Don Hopkins dhopkins at DonHopkins.com
Fri Feb 29 15:16:21 EST 2008

Thanks for creating the wiki page!
I just added this to the Summer of Code 2008 Ideas page:
http://wiki.laptop.org/index.php?title=Summer_of_Code/2008

      Micropolis

I have a long list of interesting ways to develop Micropolis
<http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Micropolis>, which I have written about on my
blog <http://www.DonHopkins.com>!

The source code is on Google Code <http://code.google.com/p/micropolis>,
and I've been working on finishing up all the grunt work that requires
familiarity with the code and would be hard for other people to do, to
enable other people to work on the higher level stuff that depends on that.

There are two Micropolis projects:

    * The old "micropolis-activity" which is the original TCL/Tk version
      of SimCity for Unix, which I ported to Linux and adapted to the OLPC.

    * The new "MicropolisCore" C++/SWIG/Python module that I've cleaned
      up and I have started developing a user interface.

It would be best to put effort into developing the new MicropolisCore
code for the long term, although there are some small tasks that could
be done with the old TCL/Tk code for the short term.

-Don Hopkins <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Dhopkins>